Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
MILLINGTON, Tenn. (NNS) – To help Americans stay connected to their Navy while staying safe at home, the Navy Office of Community Outreach (NAVCO) will present a virtual Navy Week to Spokane, Washington, May 10-16.
Held in lieu of an in-person event, the virtual Navy Week will mark the first time since 2017 that a Navy Week has been held in Spokane.
The Navy will provide virtual content to the local communities of Spokane to include tactical demonstration videos, collaborations with Instagram influencers, educational STEM content, historical videos and Navy Band performances. Engagements will include live events on social media, demonstrations, interviews, and local media coverage of:
● Senior Navy Leadership – Rear Adm. Kristen Fabry, Commander, Defense Logistics Agency Land and Maritime, will receive proclamations from Spokane Mayor, Nadine Woodward, and will officiate the swearing in of future Sailors from the Navy Talent Acquisition Group Northwest, in Seattle, Washington.
● Collaborations with Spokane area internationally recognized social media influencers! Musical jam session with “The Voice” TV star, and blues singer/songwriter Liam St. John and Navy band Northwest. Conversation with Hazen Audel, National Geographic “Survive the Tribe” TV star.
● “Lilac Festival Virtual Concert” - This event will feature performances by “The Voice” TV star, Liam St. John, the U.S. Navy Drill Team, the Gonzaga University Band, Spokane area high school bands, and Navy Band Northwest.
● Demonstration videos from the Blue Angels, U.S. Navy Leap Frogs, U.S. Navy Drill Team, and Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group 1.
● “Hometown Heroes” – Interviews and events featuring Spokane and Washington natives serving in the Navy around the world, and special videos from the crew of USS Washington (SSN- 787).
● Navy Band Northwest – virtual performances, Sailor spotlights, and masterclasses with Navy Musicians.
● Naval History and Heritage Command – Educational exploration of Spokane’s Navy history with the Naval Undersea Museum and the Puget Sound Museum.
● USS Constitution - Live, virtual tours, and gun & pike demonstrations aboard the oldest commissioned ship in the world.
● Many other fun and educational groups and events!
Navy Weeks are a series of outreach events coordinated by the Navy Office of Community Outreach designed to give Americans an opportunity to learn about their Navy, its people and its importance to national security and prosperity. Since 2005, the Navy Week program has served as the Navy’s flagship outreach effort into areas of the country without a significant Navy presence, providing the public a firsthand look at the Navy the nation needs.
Spokane is the third Navy Week in 2021. By going virtual, the Navy is able to work with its expansive network of Navy partners to provide opportunities to interact with the Navy in live-streamed events, interviews and videos.
The full schedule of events will be available on https://outreach.navy.mil/Virtual-Outreach/ and https://outreach.navy.mil/Navy-Weeks-2021/Spokane/, as well as on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/NavyOutreach.
Media organizations wishing to cover Spokane’s Virtual Navy Week events should contact LT Joel Borrelli-Boudreau at (443) 223-6613 or firstname.lastname@example.org.