The Navy the nation needs is coming to the Great Plains for Navy Week in late summer. Sailors from across the United States will be in Wichita and Hutchinson, Kan., Sept. 9-15.
Navy Weeks are the service’s signature outreach program and allow the Navy to build and strengthen ties to the community. Wichita Navy Week is scheduled to feature:
- Senior Navy leadership
- Sailors from the newly commissioned USS Wichita (LCS 13)
- Sailors from the oldest warship afloat, USS Constitution
- Sailors from Coastal Riverine Group (CRG) 1
- Navy Band performances
- Ceremonial Guard Drill Team performances
- An exhibit by Naval History and Heritage Command
- Local recruiters and U.S. Naval Academy admissions representatives
- Office of Small Business Programs symposium
In addition to events throughout greater Wichita, Navy units plan to participate in the Kansas State Fair during the week, including patriotic and veterans’ events on 9/11.