For the first time, the Navy the nation needs is coming to Colorado’s Grand Valley, at the foot of the Rocky Mountains’ Western Slope, for Navy Week. Sailors from across the United States are coming July 22-28 to show the Navy to the community.
Navy Weeks are the service’s signature outreach program and allow the Navy to build and strengthen ties to the community. Western Slope Navy Week is scheduled to feature:
- Senior Navy leadership
- Leadership and crew from Western Colorado’s namesake vessel, USS Mesa Verde (LPD 19)
- Pilots and crew from naval aviation squadrons
- Sailors from the oldest warship afloat, USS Constitution
- Navy Divers and Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal teams
- Navy Band Southwest performances
- Ceremonial Guard Drill Team performances
- Regional recruiters U.S. Naval Academy admissions representatives
- Sailors from Naval Operational Support Center (NOSC) Salt Lake City
- Sailors from the Navy’s Bureau of Medicine and Surgery
- Navy Office of Small Business Programs symposium
The Navy’s flight demonstration squadron “Blue Angels” are also slated to be the featured performers at the Grand Junction Air Show.