Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
The U.S. Navy is making plans to sail into Columbia for a Navy Week, Oct. 18-24.
This is the first Navy Week to be hosted in Columbia since the start of the program in 2005. The Navy Office of Community Outreach is working closely with community partners in Columbia and is carefully monitoring guidance from public health officials to ensure a safe event. Navy Weeks have been conducted virtually since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, and have recently been brought back as in-person events. Columbia Navy Week will feature live demonstrations, performances, and engagements throughout the week that will include:
● Senior Navy Leaders – Flag officer and senior civilian Navy leaders with ties to Columbia and surrounding area
● Namesake Sailors – Sailors serving on USS Columbia (SSN 771), a Los Angeles-class nuclear powered submarine
● Hometown Heroes – Events featuring South Carolina natives serving in the Navy
● Navy Band - Live performances and masterclasses with Navy Musicians
● Naval History and Heritage Command – Educational presentations and lesson plans about the ties between South Carolina and the Navy
● USS Constitution – In-person demonstrations and live engagements with Sailors from the oldest commissioned ship in the fleet
● Explosive Ordnance Disposal – Educational STEM presentations by technicians, medics, and divers
● Many other education-focused groups and events!
Navy Weeks are the service’s signature outreach program, designed to give the citizens of Columbia the opportunity to learn about the Navy, its people and its importance to national security and prosperity. Navy Weeks are coordinated by the Navy Office of Community Outreach (NAVCO).
“The Navy is excited to connect with the people of Columbia, and we are committed to doing so safely and responsibly,” said NAVCO’s director, Cmdr. John Fage. “Our Navy Week in Columbia will allow us to show everyone what their Navy does for them and why having a strong Navy is critical to the American way of life. We are excited to continue connecting with the communities we belong to and serve and are looking forward to a great Navy Week.”
Since 2005, the Navy Week program has served as the Navy’s flagship outreach effort into areas of the country without a significant Navy presence, with over 250 Navy Weeks held in more than 80 different U.S. markets. Columbia is the 12th Navy Week in 2021.
“During a Navy Week, we coordinate about 75 outreach events with corporate, civic, government, education, media, veterans, community service and diversity organizations in the city,” said NAVCO Navy Week program manager Lt. Cmdr. Kevin Chambers. “The 2021 schedule is exciting for us. We’ll be in several brand-new markets, such as Columbia.”
For more information on Columbia Navy Week, contact Lt. Kimberly King at (901) 302-0867 or firstname.lastname@example.org.