DD 2536 Request Form
The Navy Office of Community Outreach (NAVCO) welcomes the opportunity to share with our communities the story of the United States Navy, its important mission and the sailors who serve with Navy pride. The objective of the Speakers Bureau is informing, educating and increasing the understanding of the Navy, its people and its importance to national security and prosperity.
No Cost for Speakers
There are no fees associated with requesting a Navy speaker. Speakers are not allowed to accept fees or stipends for speaking engagements, and speakers are not allowed to accept repayment for expenses. Travel expenses are covered by the speaker’s command. Due to budget limits, speakers generally will be sourced from the commands or hometowns closest to the event. NAVCO does not have funding to pay for speakers’ travel expenses, nor does NAVCO have the authority to accept payment from organizations for travel expenses for speaking engagements.
Organization and Event Information
Requesting organizations must be open to membership from all races, creed, color, gender or national origin. Speakers may not participate in any activity or event associated with:
- Promotional activities, endorsements or marketing for private businesses
- Events that provide a selective benefit to the promotion, endorsement or sponsorship of an individual, group or organization, including any religious or sectarian organizations, ideological movement, political campaign or organization or commercial enterprise
- Any activity in which a group has been unlawfully segregated or unequally treated on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or sexual orientation
- Any activity or event that is held to stage controversy or confrontation
- Events that are associated with partisan political activities
- Organizations that withhold their constitutions, bylaws or membership qualifications from the general public
- Organizations or activities expressing ideals contrary to U.S. Government policy.
Request & Timing
We prefer to receive requests 3 months or more before the event, but no less than 30 days before the event. Generally, the higher the rank, the busier the schedule and more lead time is necessary. Even with enough time, however, NAVCO cannot guarantee a requested speaker’s availability. When requesting admirals or captains (O-6 or above), you should send a formal invitation directly to the invitee in care of his or her staff in addition to completing our form DD2536. The form DD2536 allows us to collect the information we need to staff the request efficiently.
Because of U.S. Navy emergent mission needs, not every speaking engagement request may be filled. In many cases, while we may not be able to provide a by-name request speaker, we may be able to facilitate alternative speakers.